Website Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a methodology of techniques, strategies and tactics which are used to increase traffic, or the amount of visitors, to a website. Learning how search engine optimization on your website can be done, is actually not that hard.
Wikipedia describes search engine optimization as the process of growing the quality and quantity of website traffic by increasing the visibility of a website, or a web page, to users of a web search engine.
Search Engine Optimization is a way to improve the experience of your visitors to your website, in order for it to appear closer to the number one position in search results.
You need to obtain a high ranking in the search results pages of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, to get traffic to your site.
Do you want to increase organic traffic to your website, but you are not sure how to do it? Read on to learn how search engine optimization on your website can be done. If you apply the right techniques, you will see results.
What is Website Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search engine optimization is the act of improving a website’s performance on a search engine. It is the practice of increasing both the quality and quantity of website traffic, as well as exposure through organic search engine results.
It is about understanding what people are searching for online, the answers they are looking for, the words they are using and the type of content they would like to see. If you know the answers to these questions, you will be able to connect the solutions that you offer, to those that are searching online.
Search engines use complex mathematical algorithms to interpret which website a user is looking for. Features of good SEO include:
- Quality content that are without errors and rich in relevant keywords. High quality content is original, authoritative, engaging, factual and grammatically correct. Search engines will demote articles that have spelling and grammatical errors and have poorly edited articles.
- Clean code. Technical aspects like speed and coding quality of links are taken into account.
- Backlinks from reputable sites. The more backlinks, the higher the ranking, but they need to come from relevant and quality sites. Guest blogging by publishing blogs on other sites, is a safe and effective method of building links. Sharing content across social media is also taken into consideration by search engines. The more it is shared, the higher the value that search engines will place on it, and therefore the higher the ranking.
The Basics of What is Website Search Engine Optimization
People with proper SEO training and knowledge, will benefit from increased visibility and traffic to their website. What you work on today, can give you results and payback many months later, of even years.
As society changes, new things are being searched for, so it is continuously changing. Every year about fifteen percent of searches are entirely new, meaning it has never been typed into a search engine.
Search engines like Google trawl the internet the whole time. 5.5 billion searches are conducted per day on Google, with the average person doing three to four searches every day. It is easier to be found by Google than you think. If you follow the rules of what Google is looking for, you will be found.
Does a Website need Search Engine Optimization?
It certainly does. What is website search engine optimization, refers to the improvement of unpaid traffic, also known as organic or natural traffic, to a website. A website with good SEO will appear higher in the results of a search engine.
Search engines provide targeted traffic to websites, so the traffic that is sent to your website through search engines, called organic search, is unique. A search engine will send traffic to a site because it is providing the information that the user is looking for. Targeted traffic can benefit the website owners in different ways, but the main forms are exposure and revenue.
Search Engine Optimization is the key to a successful blog, so learn how search engine optimization on your blog post can be improved, and you will be found by search engines.
How Does Search Engine Optimization Work?
Search engines primarily have two functions:
- Crawling and indexing – bots will automatically crawl through millions of documents on the internet and store it in a database. Search engines provide answers to questions and when somebody submits a search query, search engines will match the information to a relevant website. It will then show the user the results to the query.
- Ranking – based on the popularity of the website that is providing the information, the results of the search query is ranked.
Mathematical algorithms are used to determine the relevance and popularity of a website. Hundreds of variables are considered in the algorithms and would be referred to as ranking factors.
- Relevancy – content must be relevant to what the searcher is looking for. Check relevancy through keywords. Use keywords in page title, page description, headlines. Keywords is the competition and have three parts.
- Longtail – easier to rank with body and longtail
- Recency – Google loves updates, so your website must be updated recently, so it means the content is still relevant, so continue to write quality content and post regularly. Search engines need to keep searching for the most current content.
- Reputation – If you have high quality content, people will want to share it. Have a link to build links to your website through commenting, guest blogging and have suggestions and recommendations from visitors to your website.
Remember that search engines make money from advertising, so their goal is to solve the query that the user had, so that they will come back again and again.
Easy Steps How to Implement Search Engine Optimization
There are some simple steps that you can do that Google and other search engines, will find you. SEO help companies grow and thrive in the digital world.
Keywords, link building and writing quality content are three practices how Search Engine Optimization on a website can be done, that will increase the visibility of a website. All these practices must be used to get the attention of search engines.
Remember a keyword is the premise of somebody looking for help. If you can help somebody, you can build a business and website doing just that and sometime you just need to tweak what you have already, so you don’t need to throw it all out. You need keywords with little competition and also the types of keywords are important.
Related Post: What is the best keyword tool for free?
The search process starts with a keyword that a user types into a search engine like Google. Based on keywords, search engines keep track of websites when they crawl the indexed content, and any information which the search engine retrieves, is based on the keywords.
A keyword based index, which is broken down into millions of smaller databases for each phrase or keyword, is stored. This indexing system means that it can quickly be retrieved by search engines.
If you want your website or page to rank in a specific niche, then keywords related to the niche must be incorporated in the content. Specific keywords can narrow the search results and limit the competition, and that is why a keyword research tool like Jaaxy, is very important.
Related post: Jaaxy review: Top keywords research tool.
Where to place keywords
Choose the main keyword and check search volume of the keyword. Keywords should be used in the titles, content and meta description and should be naturally and strategically placed in the text content.
- Include the keyword in your title and in the first paragraph.
- SEO titles show up on Google and could be slightly different to the actual titles of your blog post.
- Important to have your keyword also in the meta description of your post.
- Add text to your images, so it is important to have an alt description for your images as it can show up in a search in three ways or places:
- Google image search
- Pinterest if somebody pins your post
- People with visual impairment can have their computer “talk” or “read” to them, so they might not be able to see your images, but will hear a description of the image.
Tip: Keyword stuffing will not work anymore and search engines will penalize you for it.
2. Link Building
Link building is another aspect of how Search Engine Optimization on a website can be used to rank in search engines. You need link structures that can be crawled by search engines to find all the pages within a website. Inbound and outbound links are both critical to the performance of your website.
- Inbound links should lead from one page to the next and will allow search engines to crawl throughout your website. Search engines will not know that you exist, if they are not properly linked.
- Outbound links will take your visitors from your site to an external site. In many cases it will be an affiliate link that is related to your niche, but it could also be to a site like Wikipedia to add authority to your site. Google trusts media sources, like newspaper and publications, so use external links to them.
- Backlinks is a SEO tactic to increase your rankings, but never be tempted to buy links, it is a practice that is frowned upon by and will get your website banned from search engines.
Tip: If you have any broken links, search engines will view it in a bad light and rank you lower. So make sure that all the links on your site are up to date.
3. What is Quality Content?
You have to write for your readers and followers first, and Google secondly. The focus of search engines on what is website search engine optimization, is to have quality content, and have appropriate title tags. High quality content serves a purpose in that visitors to your website will learn something and you will solve a problem for them.
Google really looks for quality content and a good user experience. The emphasis is on quality, and it has to be helpful, engaging and thorough content, so your priority and emphasis must be on quality content. Write intentional content that Google and other search engines can search and find. If you create quality content, then Google will find you.
Plan your content that Google loves you. Consistent, engaging and high quality content impacts the audience more than any other technique. Content writing allows you to create cohesive pieces of information. Consistency is one of the significant factors to determine the growth and success of your business.
So write great content that people want to read and search engines will want to crawl, without stuffing it with keywords. Ranking in search engines will be your reward for your efforts. Look at what people are asking about and need answers for, and then create content or blog posts about it.
How Search Engine Optimization on a website is achieved, is not that complicated, it is simple when you understand how it works.
White Hat vs Black Hat SEO Techniques
- White hat SEO techniques do not involve any deception and conforms to the guidelines of search engines. So it would be part of good design that search engines recommend. White hat advise is creating content for real people and users, not for bots.
- Black hat techniques use strategies to increase rankings that involve deception and are disapproved of by search engines. “Cloaking” and using “hidden text” are both black hat techniques that are trying to “trick” the algorithms. These are techniques that will get your website banned from search engines, so you should never use black hat techniques.
Technical Aspects of SEO
An important aspect of what is website Search Engine Optimization, is to make your website easy for users and also search engines to understand. Technical search engine optimization refers to any SEO activities that does not include the content, so it is important to implement the technical aspects of SEO.
Technical SEO are basically elements that are seen or noticed by search engines. Search engines are not able to understand and gauge the quality of the content of websites like humans. They therefore rely on the metrics of relevance and importance, which is based on what online users do.
Technical search engine optimization include metadata, security (HTTPS), mobile optimization, page speed and crawlability. Making a website faster, easier to crawl and easy for the search engines to understand, are the pillars of technical optimization.
If you would like to know how I built this website, then please read this post on SiteRubix and how to create a Website online for FREE.
Checklist for What is Website Search Engine Optimization
Tip: Go down each page or post and quickly add Meta titles and descriptions and see which ones you might have missed as you built your site.
Once you learn how Search Engine Optimization on a website is done, and when set up correctly, it is one of the few online marketing channels that will continue to bring results and pay dividend over time. Blog posts are better than spending time on social media, where things are far more short term. What you post today, is gone after 24 hours.
If you have quality content with keywords that rank, your traffic can snowball over time. You want to be able to take time off, and still be found. Write content once, to be found forever. Being found, leads to more traffic and increased sales.
SEO can help your website to rank higher in search results and can therefore drive more traffic to your website. But remember, ranking and traffic is just a means to and end. It is pointless ranking if nobody clicks through to your site.
New web pages will normally rank lower because the search engines are still unaware of the relevance of it, so don’t become despondent when you do not rank on page one overnight. Search Engine Optimization is a long game and will not happen overnight.
If you have any questions about what is website Search Engine Optimization or have suggestions about how search engine optimization on a blog post can be improved, then please leave them below and I will get back to you.
Related post: Tips to Succeed Working from Home